Low Sperm Motility Causes & Solutions
Low sperm motility is a problem that occurs in men on actually quite a common rate. The causes and reasons can vary which is why there are different methods and alternatives to deal with them. One thing is certain, that if you suffer from this, you are not alone! With proper research and self-care, Men around the world can overcome this issue one step at a time.
What is Sperm Motility?
So what exactly is low sperm motility? In order to understand this, we must first define sperm motility. Sperm motility is defined by a few factors. Movement rate and direction sperm travels. A sperm motility of at least 40% is considered normal.
The reason why sperm motility matters is because the sperm must reach the egg in order to fertilize it in order to cause pregnancy. However, in these situations, pregnancy may not occur due to effects of sperm motility and behavior.
So do you have low sperm motility? This is something you wouldn’t know right away unless you got tested recently or are actively trying to have kids with a woman but cannot seem to do so.
Usually, the most common conclusion couples reach is that the woman is the one unable to have babies. This is not always the case as men can be the cause jointly as well. Sometimes men can be the main reason why a couple is infertile. This is why we encourage couples to both get tested for their fertility.
Normal Sperm Motility Factors:
- At least 40% of sperm move
- Has a normal forward progression
- At least 12% of sperm should be moving forward
- Has a forward progressions of at least 25 micrometers per second
What Causes Low Sperm Motility?
Thereof when men suffer symptoms of having low motility are no motility whatsoever in their sperm. While many cases are linked to genetics, other causes can be very well prevented.
Smoking is usually the #1 sperm killer so if you want to have children, you may want to consider putting out that cigarette. Similarly, alcohol is another substance you can do without to increase sperm motility.
Varicocele is another factor that may be harming the motility of sperm. Varicocele is when the veins inside the scrotum become abnormally enlarged. This is something can can be diagnosed by a medical professional.
Usually however, varicoceles don’t need any treatment and tend to go away on their own. Symptoms may include sharp pain, discomfort, pain when straining and oddly the pain goes away when lying on your back.
Solutions to Low Sperm Motility
There are several things we can do to increase sperm motility. Some of these may come as more obvious than others but if all of these things are done jointly, it will definitely raise your chances to increase motility.
Sperm count is definitely correlated to body health and so make sure you do the following to make sure you are doing the best to increase sperm count and motility:
- Exercise regularly
- Getting enough sleep
- Maintain adequate body weight
- Adapt a healthy diet
- Limit alcohol consumption
- No smoking
- Do not expose genitalia to overly warm temperatures
- Avoid pollutants and pesticides
Quite often, men will adapt all these lifestyle changes and still suffer the issue of infertility. In this case, there are other things you can do other than just changing your lifestyle.
There are a several things that could be done if changing your lifestyle habits does not work out. These involve procedures performed by medical professionals. As we discussed above, a sperm motility rate of 40% or higher is considered normal.
- If a man has a sperm motility rate of 30 % to 40%, then they can go through a process called “Intrauterine Insemination” (IUI). Just like an IUD is supposed to prevent pregnancy when installed in a woman’s uterus, the IUI procedure aims to accomplish the exact opposite. In an IUI procedure, sperm is collected from the male and inserted inside the uterus of the female. The purpose of this is so sperm have less of a distance to swim. This is basically the first alternative for men with slower sperm motility. However, if motility is even less than 30%, another process must be introduced.
- IVF, or “In vitro fertilization” is the last resort treatment for achieving pregnancy. This is when an egg from a woman and sperm cells from the man are then fertilized outside in a lab and then reinserted back in to the uterus of the woman.
- Herbs can be another way to increase sperm count and mobility. It has been found that herbs containing lycium (Goji Berry) can help sperm count and mobility.
- Surgery would be last resort. If all else fails, you may be treated for surgery depending on Doctor’s recommendations. Usually, Doctors would not adhere to this step unless all other avenues have been attempted first. You can read more on surgery for male infertilty here.
Male Fertility by Bioterra Herbs
About the product
- Palm-Leaf Raspberry promotes Kidney Health by decreasing infertility, while on the other hand increase potency and sexual function.
- Lycium, also known as Goji Berry, promotes increased sperm count and sperm motility.
- Chinese Dodder can assist in balancing the Endocrine System and may increase the production of testosterone.
- Schisandra is used as an adaptogen and can help the organs of the body function at its highest level. It has also been know to detoxify the body, balance hormones and increase time of performance.
- Plantain contains nutrients that can be essential for a healthy reproductive system.
— Michael Greger, M.D. (@nutrition_facts) March 4, 2018