Activated charcoal has been used in medicine for detoxifying reason dating back to 1550 BC. It is commonly used to help patients because of it ability to absorb toxins and chemicals that can harm the body like aspirin, chlorine, mercury, and alcohol. Made up of peat, coal, petroleum, wood, and coconut shell activated charcoal provides many healthy and detoxify benefits for your health.
Benefits of Activated Charcoal:
- Helping people who have overdosed on drugs
- Relieving intestinal discomforts
- Naturally detoxifies the body
- Water purification
- Helps boost energy
- Flattens the stomach and reduces bloating
- Cures hangovers
A common way to consume activated charcoal is in capsule form or mixed with water and lemon. Its powerful detoxifying abilities allows toxins in the body to attach to itself. Heavy metals, viruses, and other toxins are flushed out of the system. Although, activated charcoal will not give you the strong caffeinated energy boost like coffee will, but anytime the body is free of toxins it will automatically give you a more natural boost.
If you are used to drinking multiple green juices throughout the day, it is important to cut back on charcoal drinks. Activated charcoal’s ability to absorb everything can become harmful is if too much is consumed. Timing is very important when drinking activated charcoal, eating tons of fruits and vegetables throughout the day7 can help replace those lost nutrients that were absorbed from the charcoal’s powerful cleansing properties.
Charcoal Lemonade Recipe:
- 16 oz of filtered water
- 1 organic lemon
- 1-2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1-2 capsules of activated charcoal
- 1 pinch of Himalayan salt
- Fresh herbs like thyme, rosemary, or basil (optional)
- Squeeze lemon into the water in a measuring cup.
- Add salt and maple syrup.
- Mix it until all is dissolved.
- Pour ⅔ of the mix to a mason jar.
- Open the capsules and add the charcoal powder into the remaining water.
- Mix the charcoal and the water.
- Add it to the mason jar with the lemon water.
- Mix it well.
- Add herbs if desired.