Oil pulling originated thousands of years ago in Ayurvedic medicine. It uses natural oils to cleanse and detoxify the teeth and gums. This traditional way of teeth cleaning has many benefits. As a matter of fact, it cures tooth decay, kills bad breath, heals bleeding gums, prevents heart disease, whitens teeth, and boost immune system.
Although you can use just about any edible oil, it is recommended to use coconut oil for best results. Avocado oil and grape seed oil are also good alternatives.
Ayurvedic medicine believes that the tongue is connected to major organs like the liver, kidneys, heart, and more. Cleansing and detoxifying the mouth and gums prevents bacteria and infection entering the blood through the mouth.
Additionally, oral health reflects the overall health of your body, so traditional medicine encourages you to take care of your gums and teeth. In fact, regular oil pullers will experience healthier looking skin and whiter teeth. Also, oil pulling can help with curbing your appetite and that can lead to weight loss.
Oil Pulling Instructions:
- Immediately after waking, before brushing your teeth, swish 1 teaspoon of coconut oil in your mouth for 20 minutes.
- If you are a beginner, try gargling for 5 minutes.
- Push and pull through teeth and gums.
- This will activate the enzymes that will draw out the toxins.
- Do not swallow the oil, it is full of all of the toxins you just removed from the body.
- After gargling, spit out the oil in trash can.
- Do not spit the oil in the sink, the coconut oil will turn into solid later on inside of the drain.
- Rinse you mouth well with warm water, to get rid of all toxins in the mouth.
- Finally, brush your teeth with regular toothpaste, then floss.